Blog

The Latest Dallas Cowboys Rumors

The Latest Dallas Cowboys RumorsFootball season is officially upon us! Before you start celebrating, we need to settle some circulating rumors regarding the Dallas Cowboys.

Here’s all the latest news and gossip circulating around the Cowboys:

Roster Cuts

There are only 53 spots on the Dallas Cowboys’ roster, and it’s time to make some cuts. Currently, there are about 90 players lined up. Usually, draft status tends to play a part in selecting the final roster – regardless of who plays the best. Teams also tend to prefer younger, cheaper players rather than older, more expensive players. Unfortunately, that’s just the way it works when there’s a salary cap.

One of the hardest things to watch is an undeserving player who continues to make the roster just because of a guaranteed paycheck – making them uncuttable. There’s Cowboys are all too familiar with this… thanks to Cedric Thornton.

Last year, the Cowboys signed Thornton for a 4-year, $17 million deal. He was originally playing the 4-technique positions, but he was asked to switch inside to the 1-technique. Naturally, the Cowboys thought he would be able to handle the move. Now, he is being outperformed by free agent Stephen Paea – playing on a 1-year, $2 million contract.

Thornton counts $4.25 million against the cap this season – which means he is the second highest paid defensive lineman on the roster. It’d be a loss to cut Thornton because the Cowboys would lose millions of dollars – $6.75 million to be exact. Even though Thornton doesn’t deserve his spot on the roster, we can expect him back on the team. The worst part is that keeping him means that Dallas could lose promising young players like Lewis Neal, Jordan Carrell, or Joey Ivie.

Ezekiel Elliott

Cowboys star player Ezekiel Elliot will miss the first six games of the 2017 NFL regular season. Darren McFadden, Alfred Morris, and Ronnie Hillman will be replacing Elliott as running back until he returns.

On August 11th, the NFL announced Elliott’s suspension for violating the personal conduct policy. This is the longest domestic violence suspension the league has implemented.

The rumors say that Elliot’s 20-year-old ex-girlfriend accused him of assaulting her one year ago in Columbus, Ohio. She told police that they were sitting in a parked car together when he began to hit her. The woman also told the cops that Elliott and she lived together, but Elliott said they never lived together. Elliott was never charged because they could not determine which statement was true.

Although no charges were ever filed against him, the Columbus City Attorney’s Office determined the information was conflicting and inconsistent. The burden of proof for law enforcement is “beyond a reasonable doubt,” while the NFL’s personal conduct policy operates under “preponderance of evidence,” which means the NFL will believe a crime has been committed if the majority thinks it is more likely that a crime occurred than didn’t occur.

The NFL Players Association filed an appeal on Elliott’s behalf, and the hearing will take place on August 29. Harold Henderson, a former league executive who has heard many cases involving the NFL’s personal conduct policy, was appointed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to hear the case.

However, there has been some back-and-forth regarding the news. On August 16th, the NFL released a statement that accused the players’ union of victim-shaming. The players’ union sent a statement in response, saying the NFL was lying.

Jerry Jones

Jerry Jones might just be as American as it gets! He has made it known that he is not a fan of national anthem protests. When many players were kneeling for the anthem last year, he announced that kind of conduct would not be coming from his players.

Recently, he was asked for his thoughts about the growing number of NFL players protesting. Here’s what he had to say:

“I just feel so strongly that the act of recognizing the flag is a salute to our country and all of the people that have sacrificed so that we can have the liberties we have,” Jones said. “I feel very strongly that everyone should save that moment for the recognition of the flag in a positive way, so I like the way the Cowboys do it.”

Jones also said players should be using their visibility on television to support America’s great contributors, and it’s just “disappointing” if they do otherwise. Many rumors (including Texas Governor Greg Abbott) said that Jones told Cowboys players: “Stand for the Anthem or you’re off the team.” This came out to be a rumor, but we wouldn’t be surprised if Jones decided to stand by it.

Zero Nose Bleeds

To catch the ‘boys in all the action, get your Dallas Cowboys tickets at Zero Nose Bleeds – where your ticket is always 100% guaranteed. Visit our website today!


27th September 2017
ALL ARTICLES